Tuesday, March 1, 2011

TEDx Women

I found a blog post at AmazingWomenRock.com today bemoaning the fact that there are so few women presenters at TED and TEDx events. This, despite the fact that some of the best talks EVER are by women like neuroscientist, Jill Bolte Taylor's recounting of her stroke, or Aimee Mullin's idea that dis-abled has evolved to mean extra-abled or supra-abled, or Eva Vertes new take on medicine and memes in cancer.

The blog author is encouraging us to nominate women speakers we'd like to hear speak at TED and has created a Facebook page where you can nominate your favourites by clicking on this button.

I've been nominated! I Should Talk at TED

I'd like to see/hear Irshad Manji. Why? Because the woman is brilliant, and her insides are on fire with insight, and she has the gumption to take a stand that puts her straight in the cross hairs. Ms. Manji is an erudite and moderate muslim. She challenges her faith to wake up to radical Islam and suggested there is room for reform in her faith.


Ms Manji's speaking in Toronto March 7, and I almost booked a flight from here to there just to hear her and watch her in action. I can't justify the carbon. Please, someone bootleg a video and send it to me?! Irshad maybe your "handlers" can send me one? You know I want to be there!

For those of you who are ADHD, well, I've likely lost you already. If not, watch this video snack of this earthmoving woman talk about what she is up to:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Coce2iYMv68&feature=related

As she so rightly says, "Courage is not the absence of fear. Courage is the recognition that some things are more important than fear."

No comments: